PREPARING YOURSELF FOR PERIODONTAL / IMPLANT SURGERY
If you will be having IV sedation please make sure you follow these instructions:
- Nothing to eat or drink for eight (8) hours prior to surgery. Please take regular medications prescribed by your physician as usual with very little water as early in the day as possible, unless instructed otherwise. If you are scheduled for an afternoon intravenous sedation surgery, please get up early enough to eat breakfast at least eight (8) hours prior to surgery. A responsible adult must take you home and remain with you following your surgery.
- If you will be having the procedure under local anesthesia ONLY and without sedation, then you DO NOT have any restrictions. You MAY eat and drink prior to surgery and drive to and from the office. We encourage you to eat a light snack before your visit.
Important Things To Follow
• Any aspirin, coumadin or blood thinning drug you might be taking, will be addressed on an individual basis by Dr. Vasanthan and Dr. Azarnoush prior to treatment.
• NO alcohol consumption 24 hours prior to surgery.
• Take your normal prescription medication with little water, unless instructed otherwise.
• Notify staff of medications that you have taken on the day of your procedure.
• Wear a short-sleeve garment or if full sleeve it must be easy to pull up over the arms.
• Wear comfortable walking shoes, No high heels.
• If you are having intravenous sedation surgery, please remove nail polish atleast on one finger as we will attach a sensor to your finger.
• Remove contact lenses the day of your surgery and wear glasses if possible.
• Prepare ice packs and have soft nutritious foods available at home.
Nutritious, easy to eat foods include: milkshakes, cottage cheese, yogurt, pasta, rice, fish, applesauce,soup, eggs, etc..
Antibiotics / Medication
You should receive prescriptions at your pre-surgical visit. For your convenience, please have them filled prior to your scheduled surgery, unless they have been previously phoned into the pharmacy of your choice. Please bring your filled prescriptions with you to your appointment.
Please alert the office to any allergies or sensitivities that you might have to antibiotics or other medication. You will be prescribed an antibiotic if our doctor determines it to be necessary. Take as directed until gone. It is advisable not to take these medications on an empty stomach, as nausea may result. For women taking birth control pills, be advised that antibiotics may interfere with their effectiveness. Pain medication, anti-inflammatory medication, steroids and mouthwash may be prescribled based on the procedure. Please take them as directed.
When preparing a post-op menu, please consider some of the following choices:
- Ensure/Slim Fast
- Soups – Warm not hot
- Apple Sauce
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Mashed Potatoes
- Milk Shakes
- Cottage Cheese